200 years of British rule in India has produced only clerks -if not physically, mentally and attitudinally- and good-for-nothing “educated” householders. The need for ‘man-making' education, as Swami Vivekananda exhorted, had been felt all through the centuries in our country, especially in the Pre-Independence days. Guntur was no exception to the prevailing situation.

In those days, Guntur was a small, nevertheless important town inhabited by great people, politicians, lawyers, doctors, literary luminaries, businessmen and educationists. It was a nerve center of activity in several fields, especially political. The contribution of Guntur to Freedom struggle is quite substantial. The visits of the two towering personalities, Mahatma Gandhi and Jawaharlal Nehru in the 1930s to Guntur and Vijayawada bear the amplest testimony to this.

Thus, when everything else was going on well, it was in the field of education that Guntur was just lagging behind. Madras was the only nearby city of reckoning for any well-meaning person to pursue higher education in those days of Composite Madras State. One can guess how affordable it was!

It is precisely with this background that Hindu College was established in 1935, by a group of highly educated, patriotic and philanthropic gentlemen of Guntur, with the loftiest ideal of ‘dispelling darkness' from the society and to prevent any further erosion of values and virtues from all walks of life. The motto of our college, “Tamasoma jyotirgamaya”, taken from the “Brithadaranyaka Upanishad”, sumps up all this!

 

Main Campus :

The beginnings and after:

1935 is a historic year in the annals of the ever-growing town, Guntur, which occupies a significant place in Andhra Pradesh. It was in the year 1935 that the Hindu College was started with an aim to serve the community through education by employing time-tested methods of teaching and raising the moral standards of the student community. It was due to the untiring efforts of a group of dedicated men who illustrated the truth that sincerity and teamwork would lead to success in any field. The college has achieved the great heights that its founding fathers envisaged, through a constant and consistent endeavor to give quality education to the student community. The college has been rendering yeoman services to this cause for over 71 years.

Though the college had its humble beginnings in 1935 from a small Sanskrit School, it soon became a full-fledged institution under the able, active and enthusiastic guidance of distinguished persons like Messrs. Kompalli Kotilingam, Desiraju Hanumantha Rao, Annamraju Sitapati Rao, Madhavapeddi Hanumantha Rao, Tumuluri Nagabhushanam, Majety Hanumantha Rao, Aka Dandaiah, M.Mastan Saheb, Tellakula Jalaiah, T.Venkata Rao, R.Bhaskara Rao, Maddi Sudarsanam, A.Lakshminarasimham, R.L.Somayaji, P.S.T.Sayee, Poluri Venkateswara Rao, N.S.R.Panthulu, Madhapeddi Radhakrishna Murthy and A.L.Narayana Rao, who served as Presidents, Vice-Presidents and Secretaries of the College Committee. Sri S.V.S. Somayaji, Chartered Accountant, served as Secretary and Correspondent till December 1998 during whose tenure a separate P.G. Campus was established in the year 1995.Sri S.V.S. Somayaji, the present President of the College Committee and Sri M.V.R.K.Mutyalu, present Secretary and Correspondent are known for their service to the cause of education and their devotion to the all-round development of the College. It is no exaggeration that the College has reached its highest watermark of excellence due to their relentless efforts and unsparing personal attention, keeping up the well-established traditions and values of the College.

Messrs, Buddhiraju Ramachandra Rao, Vallabhajosyula Subba Rao, Vanguri Subba Rao, Y.S.R.Chandran, M.Upendra Sarma, O.S.N.Murthy, M.Gopalakrishna Murthy, V.V.Narasimha Rao, J.S.Sarma, P.V.Ramana Rao, Dr.P.Hanumantha Rao, P.V.Narasimha Rao, P.V.Appa Rao, Dr.Prasadaraya Kulapathi and Chakka Ramakrishna Rao,Sri B.Raghavendra Rao, Dr. P. Lakshmana Rao constitute a galaxy of distinguished Principals who served the institution with great zeal, diligence and efficiency. By their ceaseless efforts they have brought unique name and fame to the college and established good academics and moral standards. They set themselves as models both to the teaching faculty and the student community by their exemplary conduct and performance.

The present Principal,Dr. T. Nageswara Rao who has a vast experience in teaching as well as administration as the Head of the Department of Chemistry, is sparing no efforts to give a face lift to the college and also to motivate the staff and students towards reaching new heights in teaching-learning and also upkeep of the institution. He wants to put the institution on the academic map of the University in the top place.

The success of the institution is reflected by its alumni. The Hindu College can confidently be proud of its alumni who occupy various positions of distinction in different fields. Prof. N.Ganga Prasada Rao, a former Vice-Chancellor, Dr. Swaminathan, member, Planning Commission, Sri G.V.G.Krishna Murthy, former Election Commissioner, Prof. B.H.Briz-Kishore, I.E.S., Member, University Grants Commission, Sri. J. Satyanarayana, I.A.S., Secretary, Department of Information Technology, Government of A.P.Present Hon’ble Chief Minister Sri K. Rosaiah, Government of Andhra Pradesh and a host of others have spread the fame of the Alma-matter far and wide.

During the recent years the reputation of the college has been held high by the distinction achieved by some of the most brilliant students like G.Ramakrishna, P.V.Sesi Sekhar, P.Seshu, V.Sivakumar, G.H.V.Narayana Murthy, K.R.S.Rama Krishna, G.V.V. Sarma and K.V.Ramesh Babu

Besides the academic achievements of the college, the college has a rich record of performance in other fields organized by N.S.S, N.C.C. and associations like Debating and Quiz, Literary, Fine Arts, Humanities, Science, Prachya Bhasha Parishad, Sports, etc. All these associations strive to bring out the talent of the students in various fields and promote the growth of arts and culture. They conduct annual competitions and award prizes and thus provide for an active interaction among students of various colleges.

The glory and greatness of any institution lies in the quality of the men it produces. Hindu College, Guntur, is one of the great alma maters of the modern times with a renowned history, growth and development in the field of education for 71 years. The teachers and students of this mighty institution feel that this institution shaped their destinies with meaningful and purposeful instruction and guidance. Each faculty has rich background and scholastic resources. Every department has contributed its share of successful and useful instruction and techniques of learning for the growth, glory and greatness of the institution. The record of each department is a story of success and reflects the rich history of the college itself.

Today:

The college had the unique privilege of being inaugurated by the greatest Educationalist-Philosopher-Statesman-President of India, Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.

Ever since, the growth of the college-both quantitative and qualitative – with 23 U.G and P.G. Courses, 120 classrooms, 200 faculty members, 150 non-teaching staff and about 5000 students from all over the city and nearby suburbs- is just phenomenal. All this could happen, not overnight, but over years of careful nurturing of the vision and foresight of the forefathers of this great institution, by virtue of which the college stands tall in the city today as the center of educational activity- with splendid relevance to the changing times and priorities of education.

Top

P.G. Campus :

Initially The P.G. Courses, M.Com(1991) and M.C.A.(1994) were launched on the College Campus. But in the year 1995 a separate P.G.Campus was inaugurated by shifting M.Com from the Main Campus. In the same year three more P.G.Courses viz., M.Sc in Maths, M.A. in Economics, M.A. in Political Science were sanctioned and commenced. Since then M.Sc. Physics(1997) M.A.History(1998), M.Sc.Computer Sciences(1999), P.G.Diploma in Management and Computer Applications(2000),M.Sc.(IS),M.Sc., Chemistry(2005) have been Gradually added. Bachelor Of Computer Applications was also started in the P.G.Campus in the year 1998.All the courses run on the P.G.Campus were sanctioned by the A.P. State Council of Higher Education, Hyderabad, and affiliated to Nagarjuna University .To suit the needs of class rooms, a two-storied new building Brihaspati was constructed housing Commerce Block, Computers Block and Arts Block which were inaugurated by Prof.C.Subba Rao, Chairman, Andhra Pradesh State Council of Higher Education, Hyderabad; Sri J.Satyannarayana, Commessionar & I.G. for Registrations,Govt. of A.P. and Prof.C.V.Raghavalu, vice-chancellor, Nagarjuna University, respectively on 04th January, 1999.

The core faculty of all the P.G. Courses is mostly constituted with experienced lecturers having Ph.D. and M.Phil. degrees and it is also supported by associated guest faculty comprising members of higher learning. Apart from the regular class teaching

the College has been putting in efforts to augment instruction with seminars, guest lectures, assignments, subject quizzes industrial tours for inculcating proper understanding and comprehensive view of the subject. The College has been trying to promote the students' talents in cultural and sports fields also.

The P.G. Campus has been well equipped with laboratories, a spacious seminar hall and well-furnished library. The College has four well-equipped computer labs with 155 latest computer systems connected through network and with advanced licensed software and packages. An Internet connection (Sify-Broadband) is also provided to enable the students to know the global developments in the field of Information Technology. The P.G.College has also equipped its Physics labs well with sophisticated instruments.

The P.G. College has got a good collection of standard books on different subjects and has been subscribing to national and international journals, periodicals, magazines and dailies of high caliber .

 

Profile of the College
AT A GLANCE
Established : 1935
Aided /Unaided : Aided
Affiliation     : Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur
UGC Recognition   : 1956
Post Graduate Courses : 1991 

A Brief History of the college :

Started as a small Sanskrit School about 135 years ago, later developed into the Town High School.Great patriots like Sri T.T.Krishnamachari, Sri Kasu Brahmananda Reddy, Sri Kotha Raghuramaiah and Sri N.V.L.Narasimha Rao were students of the School.

Dr.Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, the then vice-chancellor of Andhra University and later President of India inaugurated the Hindu college in 1935, with a few Science departments and departments of languages. It become a first grade College in 1947.Originally affiliated to Andhra University and later to Nagarjuna University, the College got UGC recognition in 1956

The College has to its credit maximum number of P.G. Courses sanctioned by the University

Founding Fathers :

Great men and leading Members of the Guntur Bar like Sri Desiraju Hanumantha Rao, Annamraju Sitapati Rao, Madhavapeddi Hanumantha Rao, K.Narasimha Rao, Tumuluri Nagabhushanam, Kompalli Kotilingam and P.S.T.Sai were some of the stalwarts responsible for constituting it into a multifaceted educational and later Hindu College and High Schools Council.We Owe it to their vision for what we are today.

Courses Offered :

Intermediate : All groups with Sanskrit as one of the languages
U.G. Courses : B.Sc., B.A., B.Com., and B.B.M in as many as 23 combinations
Post-Graduate Courses : M.A., M.Sc., M.Com., M.C.A.

 

Strength of Students :

Intermediate

-

1250

U.G.

-

2100

P.G:

-

320

Strength of faculty (UG):                

Teaches with Ph.D.  

  28

Teachers with M.Phil. 

  40

Teachers with P.G.

  62

Total

130

Strength of Non teaching staff 

110


Strength of faculty (PG):

 

Teaches with Ph.D.  

  03

Teachers with M.Phil. 

  07

Teachers with P.G.

  14

Total

  24

Strength of Non teaching staff 

  14

 

Sister Institutions:

Hindu College of Pharmacy
B.H.H. Junior college for Girls
B.H.H. Degree College for women
Hindu College High School
Pattabhipuram High School
Sri Majety Guravaiah High School
Sri Majety Guravaiah Junior College
Sri Majety Guravaiah Degree College

Total strength of the Institutions over 10,000 students.

 

Infrastructural facilities in the College

  1. Main Campus of about 1,15,000 Sq.Ft. built area and open land, totaling 7.5 acres(approx.)
  2. P.G. Campus of about 60,000 Sq.Ft of built up area and open land, totaling 8 acres(approx.)
  3. Vacant Land for further development, of about 20.00 acres
  4. Auditorium -Sri Aka Danadaiah Pantulu Hall
  5. Seminar Hall
  6. Agricultural Farm
  7. Andhra Bank- Campus Branch
  8. Canteen
  9. Health Center With regular O.P. facility
  10. Facility for Indoor games and Gymnasium
  11. Acharya Nagarjuna University Distance Education Centre for U.G. and P.G.
  12. Latest Communication Network like Computers, FAX, E-Mail and Internet facility.

Support Services:

  1. Central Library
  2. Computer Center
  3. Sports facility
  4. Welfare Schemes
  5. Grievance Redressal cell
  6. Vehicle placing shed etc.